Reconnections: Looking back, moving forward, enacting change
2023 Dance & Somatic Practices Conference
Deadline for the submissions: 30th November 2022.
Proposals should be submitted online via Google Forms please follow this
Confernce dates: Friday 14th to Sunday 16th July 2023
Centre for Dance Research (C-DaRE), Coventry University, Coventry, UK.
To be held at the ICC Building, Coventry University, Parkside, Coventry, CV1 2NE, UK.
Call for Papers
The Dance & Somatic Practices Conference invites practitioners, dance artists and scholars from a range of somatic practices and disciplines to debate and share investigations in the field of somatic informed movement practices.
The conference will take place in-person with the opportunity to present online.
The conference – Reconnections: Looking back, moving forward, enacting change – will offer a space to collectively engage with themes pertinent to the field of somatic practices internationally and to consider recent world events and concerns such as COVID-19, social justice and the climate emergency. Historically, the Dance & Somatic Practices Conference has been a moment for all areas of somatic practice, research and other modes of somatic enquiry to meet and share experience, knowledge and
connection. This year we have recognized a need and desire in the wider somatic community to gather together in this way again. Welcoming different perspectives from the ever-enrichening field, we also want to acknowledge, celebrate and honour who and what has come before, to reflect on what has happened in recent years and to collectively explore current and future priorities for our community.
We invite proposals for papers, panels, workshops, presentations and other formats that we may not have thought of that, through somatic movement and enquiry, engage with the following questions:
• What do you consider are key topics of enquiry in the field today?
• What do you consider are the pressing questions that will need to be
addressed into the future?
• What do you consider are the emerging topics of enquiry and how are
these supported by the legacies in the field?
• How do you imagine we might continue to develop sustainable formats
for somatic practice and research, whether through conference, journals or
• What, in your opinion, has been missed in our explorations of somatics
The call is open to themes and perspectives such as but not limited to: screendance; dance science; spirituality; body and environment; social justice; climate emergency; pedagogy and performance; politics and trauma; embodiment; ethics; care; technology; and non-Western perspectives.
We are accepting proposal submissions via Google Forms, you will be asked to include the following:
• Your proposal (max 500) words including the key theme(s) you will be examining please leave out any personal details as the proposals will be reviewed anonymously by the conference committee.
• Details of any collaborators
• Your preference for presenting in person or online
• Technical requirements - noting that only low-level technical requirements can be accommodated. Unfortunately, we cannot provide performance level technical support.
If you have any issues with the form or need any additional support with the form please contact email@example.com.